These are the links for lecture information at Who Do You Think You Are Live 7th April 2017
- definition of charwoman
- Punch January-June 1850 Humorous description of a mid-19th century charwoman
- History of Laundry website
- Washing day – Powys, A Day in the life of Laundress
- Public Baths and Washhouses Act 1850
- Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management (1st ed 1861, 1909 edition online). The laundry maid’s duties.
- A book about the history of washing, laundry and Washhouses, Sanitas Sanitatum et Omnia Sanitas by Richard Metcalfe 1877 at
- Hullwebs History of Hull Reckitt and Sons of Hull website
- Grace’s Guide for Colman’s Starch (and mustard)
- Colman’s history site
- Backbarrow Ultramine Works Company, Reckitt’s Coleman bleach works.
some places to visit
- Berrington Hall, National Trust
- Port Sunlight and Lever Art Gallery or www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ladylever
- Ironmonger Row Baths (1931), London